Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My First Blog!!

Yea! My First Blog! Oh the excitement!

So I've been reading my cousins blogs for a long long time and now my uncle has one to and I decided I might as well join in the excitement. So why blog...hmmm and what to blog... I've decide to blog about what I am currently reading and what I have written, hence "my literary ramblings" :) Yes I know oh so original.

Why literary ramblings? I LOVE to READ!! It's truly an obsession. One that I recommend everyone to have! I'm in school at Holy Family University as a secondary education English major. Yes, I know what you are thinking, "Teaching High school English, what are you nuts?" And in response, "Yes, I am totally, happily, unequivocally nuts! But hey aren't we all?" So back to my point, ( I tend to get distracted and go off on tangents:)) I LOVE to READ and that is why I choose to teach English in the first place. I also discovered, once I started college, that I love to write! So, I will be posting my stories and such here as well. For those who read, and it will probably only be AJ and Uncle Tom :) Be nice and honest :)

So to begin I will say I am currently reading three books at once, two of which are for school and one I am re-reading for fun. Actually the two for school I have to be done by 8am tomorrow so I should really get on that. But to finish blogging first, here goes:

Book 1: Sister of my Heart By: Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (what a mouthful)

This book is about two girls raised as cousins in India and America. So far I have only read the beginning, but it is actually really good. It is told from the two girls points of view. Anju and Sudha. From my very early impressions it is called Sister of my Heart because the girls are raised as if they were sisters and they feel like each other's half, hence sister of my "heart." Also, there is a cute story of how Anju "called" Sudha into life by being placed on Sudha's mother's stomach and crying and Sudha suddenly appearing. And of course the girls were born on the same day within hours of each other. Both of their mothers went into early labor because they received news of their husband’s deaths. All very sad and with an interesting twist on the story. But enough of that for now.

Book 2: The Death of the Heart By: Elizabeth Bowen
Yes, I am reading two books about "the heart" though both in different ways:) Ok this book I don't have as much to say about it yet. I have barely gotten into it. It is about a sixteen-year-old girl named Portia who moves to London with her half brother and his wife. The wife is very un-motherly and kind of superficial. The brother does not know how to act. The girl falls for some young "Cad" (the books words, not mine). So far it's interesting. There was a funny part in the short bit I have read. The older brother's mother was a very strange character. Her husband had been having an affair and told her that he had gotten the other woman pregnant. He just thought she should know. He is actually a rather likeable gentleman, even though I usually hate people that cheat. But the funny part is the wife basically tells him "Oh well dear we must get a divorce and you must marry her then" Then she packs his bags and sends him on his way. She is very odd and seems happy to have him go. Never sad about it or angry, just nonchalant. Very odd! Then when the baby, Portia, is born she tells her son, the brother, in a happy tone and says "oh we must celebrate." (Not exact quotes, just the basic gist). I mean really my husband cheats on me, and their would be some serious kick ass going on in my house but here oh no she's all latti-dah! *rolling eyes* Very strange.

Book 3: Twilight By: Stephenie Meyer (my re-read)
Ok so first I have to say that I LOVE these books. They are great. they are meant as a like young adult high school fantasy type novel, but I think they are awesome. My cooperating teachers, from students teaching, also loved them, and so did the students. I would have to say that if you liked the Harry Potter books and you are female, you will most likely enjoy these books. So far there are only 3 of them :(, but one more comes out this summer! YEA! I read all 3 of them in four days. My co-op had been bugging me to read them and so had my students so the day before thanksgiving I went and I bought the first one. Well I stayed up all night reading it and thanksgiving morning I drove around searching for a store that was open to but the other two :( Sadly I could not find one. However, the following day I bought them and read them in oh two days. Now don't get me wrong they are rather long, but they are an easy read and I personally cannot put down a book once I am really into it. So, why am I re-reading? I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day and I just picked it up to leaf through it since it was on the table. I of course got re-sucked in and kept reading. Now, I have to read the first two books for school so I have a dilemma. My Twilight book is luckily in storage, so I can’t read it, but am forced to read the others. But, in the back of my mind I keep wanting to drive over to storage and get the books and I know that as soon as class is over tomorrow that is exactly what I will do. (See I really do have an obsession with reading) :) So what are these enthralling books about? Well it's about a girl name Bella, and a boy named Edward. The twist, Edward is a vampire...but a good one. He and his family do not kill humans. They also are not burned by sunlight and do not die by a steak through the heart. They do not sleep in coffins and basically break all "rules" thought about vampires. She weaves the story in a complete new fantasy way. It's great, in my opinion. When Edward goes out into the sunlight, instead of burning to ash, his skin glistens as if it were covered in diamonds. He can't sleep ever and he has this cool power of being able to read minds. However, he cannot read Bella's mind. Ok before I go on for way to long I must stop because I really do need to read the other books :)

Until next time! AJ and Uncle Tom I fully expect comments:)
<3>

3 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I'll be sure to mention your blog in my next post. And in the meantime I'll add you to my RSS reader. Now I'll go read the short story....

AJ
<><
AJ Harbison Music

Anonymous said...

So i can use you site as one of the sources for my book right!! Haha j/k...maybe...I think this is awesome...sidenote I would have beat the b**** up!

Anonymous said...

I meant my 20th century paper haha not book